Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Book Review: The Glory Cloak

I always say I never have time to read, when in truth it is that I cannot allow myself to read. I fell in love with the sheer thought of books at a very young age, a love that has followed me to adulthood and that plunged me into writing in elementary school. So why cannot I not let myself read? Because I get lost in the world contained in the pages before me, my thoughts muddled by the fictional reality. I begin to neglect my responsibilities such as school, work, or you know, sleep and food. However, it just gives me one more thing to look forward to as summer approaches. Vacation is my time to lose myself in someone else through the imagination of others.
I decided to make a solo trip to the library last week, something I use to clear my head. My tactic when I go into a library with no specific intentions is to wander through aisles, picking up whatever book catches my attention. I stumbled upon the book I finished most recently, The Glory Cloak , through that very method. I think it is my most successful stumble to date.
 Patricia O'Brien creates quite the fictional tale, weaving together characters of her own creation with Louisa May Alcott, Clara Barton, and other Civil War era figures. While most of her story was born of her imagination, the bits of historical fact and persons really make this book special. While I do not agree with some of her word choices or descriptions, I have few complaints. I highly recommend it.

Find it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts