Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Joyful Redemption, Tips, and Random

My last post was sad... so now that I'm feeling better I need to redeem myself.

We all go through some low periods, sad times, and often for no reason. That was mine. But I'm good now. Back to focusing on how AWESOME things really are. Enjoying the small things. Like red nail polish. The thought that eventually, I will wear a sweater and not melt. There are crunchy leaves! Not the good kind, but their existence whatsoever makes me smile.

I still really miss my family, just for the record. It is so weird being away from them... but I will be home for Thanksgiving in 49 days. And I can't wait to tell them all about my life here and catch up with those wonderful people over delicious food and football. And I WILL be wearing a sweater. Because it is Tennessee and it will not be 80 degrees...I hope.


(taken last Thanksgiving)




It's funny how certain songs can bring back such vivid memories. I was listening to Christmas music (don't judge me. : P ) and the First Noel came on. I was instantly taken back to about 2005, Christmas night. I was in my bedroom in my Samantha nightgown with a snow globe/music box my dad had given me. I remember at first being upset, because it wasn't what I had thought to be in the package. But that night, I turned out all of the lights in my room, turned on the little light on the globe, and wound it up. I watched as the little flecks on snow fell gently on the glass angel inside as "The First Noel" played. And I cried. I felt so bad because I was disappointed in a gift. I realized I LOVED the snow globe and I was so selfish and ungrateful for not being excited about it to begin with just because I thought it was going to be something else.
Now. Fast forward to 2012, the night before we left for Tampa. I had climbed into bed, all of my lights off. I turned on the same snow globe that still sits on my nightstand, 7 years later. It illuminated my room with the warm glow of that Christmas night. And I cried. Because I was so thankful for everything I had and the memory of being so ungrateful for something beautiful given to me by someone who loves me... And I was just overwhelmed with how lucky I am to have him. I also realized how lucky I was that not only does my father love me like no one else, my Father loves me even more... Even though I mess up. I make mistakes. I go against His word. Yet he loves me, and forgives me...accepts me with open arms. How blessed are we? To have such a forgiving God. It hit me that, yes I was scared to move 700-800 miles away. Yes, I would miss my family. But God would make me strong. He would protect me and my life, if I put it in His hands, would be grand. Trust in God can get you so far in life, and I am so thankful for Him and His love for me.

Now for some tips for my lovelies who are filling out college applications.

1. ) Be yourself. Let your personality AND intelligence come through that essay. If they feel like they know you, they'll want to give you money. So get a little casual with it; talk to them. But not too casual. You don't want to look stupid. : P

2) Moving far away from your family and friends is a lot harder than you may ever imagine, but it's also very rewarding. Just don't forget where you come from. (I'm think about you, Maddy. Chicago is far away. ; ) )

3) Always keep snacks in your dorm. You get hungry at the weirdest times.

4) Be nice to everyone. Even people you don't know or people who aren't nice to you. It puts you in a really good mood.

5) Don't go to class in sweats. It's unclassy, and you'll get to cozy and fall asleep, wasting the class period. (although, chances are, you'll fall asleep in class at some point no matter what you wear. But dressing nicely = compliments that make you feel good and giving off a good impression that you want to be viewed as professional and you care about your appearance (to a point. Don't be vain..or have low self confidence).

6) Make friends! Reach out to people...see someone sitting alone? Chances are, they're scared, too. Make the first move and help someone feel better. You'll be glad you did.

7) Always love Erin. ; )

Tomorrow our Future Falcon is coming for the weekend. I can't wait to show her how kick butt FC is. Wasn't too long ago, I was a "Future Falcon", too. Now I'm just one of 532 Falcons. And proud of it!

Then, Saturday we're going to down town Tampa. So I might actually have a more interesting post next week. : P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts